My Pictures from Hurricane Katrina
The front of my home before
Katrina showed up.  This
picture was taken a couple
of months before.
We've done a lot of work on our home over the years.  
Most of it was done a little bit at a time as we could get
enough money together to get what was needed.  We were
finally almost done.  This picture from a couple of months
ago is of my husband putting the shingles on the roof of the
last room we were adding to the back of the house. It was
there when we bought the house, a little ways from the
house.  It's first life was as a garage with a flat little tin roof.  
We poured new cement, tore the rotten and rusted tin roof
of and built a new wooden roof on it this summer, framed in
the open front, and just before the hurricane we had
painted the outside and were hanging sheet rock.  
I took this picture Monday evening
after Katrina finally blew by.  The
water had already fallen a good
bit, but was probably still close to
two feet deep.  We were lucky that
it fell before getting as deep
inside as it got outside. The water
wasn't there one moment and then
suddenly it was.  It left a little
slower, but still pretty quickly.
This was taken from my front porch.  The little red car is
'was' mine.  I parked it across the street because the
ground is a little higher over there and the trees weren't as
close.  I never dreamed the water would get up high
enough to ruin it, much less high enough to even get into
the trunk.

My son in lives in the house on the side of the road where
my car was parked.  It's the house I grew up in.

The huge oak tree you can see down in the background
has been standing guard in front of that yard for probably a
hundred years, way before the house was built or there
was a paved street in front of it.  Katrina pulled that big
great oak tree up by the roots and laid it over on the store
next door to the house.

The first picture below is a closer shot of the tree.  The
second is a closer one of the roots.  There's a large hole
left in the ground behind my daughter, but it wasn't safe for
her to stand in it.
This is the side of my house that faces my
son's home.  This was taken from the side
porch a little while after I took that one from
the front porch.  We were really lucky.  The
strongest wind hit our house from the other
side, the left, so the two oaks right beside
our house didn't fall.  They were smaller than
the others, but would have done a lot of
damage if they had fallen either way.  One
way they would have hit my house, the other
way my son's.
We found this crawfish in the living room after
we got the last of the water out.  Lord only
knows what else got in there with us that we
didn't find.  Best I don't know.
The first picture below is one from last winter.  It's our car and truck in the driveway.  You can see our son's covered
drive across the street.  I took the picture because there was actual snow on the back of the car.  It might not be much,
but it was a whole lot for us here in southeast Louisiana.  (Boy do I miss my little car.  She was the best kind there is
out there.  One that runs great, looks good, and that was completely paid for.)

The next picture is the same driveway a short time after Katrina left.
This is the street between our houses. There was two oak trees across it, the top out of another one, and then lots
of limbs.  The wire running across the street was our power line.  It would stay right there for over two weeks.

When we first got to go out there after the water went down, we did a happy dance when we didn't find anything
more than small limbs on my car and on my son's car, the sliver one parked right in front of mine.  It was actually
the next day before I found that they had both been filled up over the seats with water and were a total loss.
It was starting to get dark
when I took these pictures of
my son trying to clear away
some of the smaller limbs on
the oak tree that was across
the street.  My husband was
working on the other side with
a saw, trying to get through
some of the bigger stuff.  We
wanted to clear a path out
between our two houses and
on top of that, my husband's
truck was parked over there
with one oak tree in front of it
and one behind it.
If you look through the limbs
that my son is chopping on,
you can just see some of the
red top of my husband's
truck.  It had some dents in it,
but other than that, was fine.
These are pictures of my son's covered driveway and some more of the street.
This was taken
from my son's side
of the road after
they had cleared
away a good size
walking path for us
between the two
This was taken of my son's driveway
a couple of weeks after the
hurricane.  Right after we came back
This is the side of my house
four weeks after the hurricane.
It's slowly getting better and
better here.
I had a lovely back yard with sectioned off flower gardens, roses and fruit trees.  There was a cement patio back
there that we poured one wheel barrel load at a time. A picnic table my husband built me years ago. Bird baths,
pot plants, and a very large metal shed I had got hubby this last Father's Day.  We poured a cement slab for it and
then spent days putting it together one screw at a time.  It was an awful job.  The tree you see below is large
enough that it pretty much destroyed my whole back yard when it fell.  It's trunk went through my fence and over that
shed, across my yard and then out the other side of my fence.  It's large limbs reached out on both sides, taking out
my persimmon trees, my banana trees, my bird bath, my flower beds, falling across my picnic table and more.
This first picture is of the
back yard after a couple
of days of work.  The
other two below were
after a whole lot more
And these last two pictures are of now, a month after the hurricane.  It's getting much better, but I lost a lot of plants
and trees completely.  Others will hopefully come back next spring.  Wish that shed could just grow back.
We were left with a huge mess and we lost a lot, but even when I look at these pictures I know how very
lucky we were.  Out home is still standing, we are here, alive and safe, we even had a way left to get out of
here after a few days. We were more than lucky, we were blessed.

I won't say I haven't had a few pity parties for myself, or that I haven't cried over a ton of things, like family
pictures, my children's' baby books, even my car and my living room furniture, but I have things left,
pictures left, furniture left, I'm not planing a funeral or living on the streets, or anything so much worse than
what we went though.  So every time I break down for a bit and start one of those pity parties, I just drive
around town for a while and look at the homes with oak trees through them, roofs blown off, think about
those who died during Katrina or afterwards from the heat and from a lack of water or medicine, or even
turn the news on for a few minutes, and suddenly I can dry the tears and get back to being grateful.
Go to hurricane Pictures Page One, Pictures Page Two, Pictures Page Three,
Newspaper Articles about Bogalusa, Louisiana in the first weeks after
hurricane Katrina, or even read
My Own Katrina Story.